The highlights are :
- Most of the Freeview channel bouquet delivered over broadband. The quality is good. I've used it over a standard DSL line to a 42 inch plasma.
- Available initially over the Super Janet network (but see the note below)
- Delivered to a free player downloadable from the freewire website
- It is also H264 so I assume you can just run it through VLC, although I haven't tried.
- Runs over multicast-enabled Networks (e.g. SuperJanet)--most core telco networks are or will be multicast enabled in the next couple of years.
You can read more about the offering from Informitv
I think Freewire is available to Bulldog DSL subscribers as well. So I would be interested if anyone who uses bulldog wants to test the service and tell me what it's like. XP only, Mac support coming soon. (Apparently not right now--I'm checking on this. 5 November 2006)
(I am a non-exec on Inuk Networks, the parent of Freewire TV).